Friday, April 3, 2009

The scariest moment of my life, a.k.a. "A Boring Story For You"

Hello, favourite people! Let me tell you about the scariest moment of my life. I wasn't planning on telling anyone about this at the time, but I've subsequently realised I should or else I am kind of defying the entire point of the exercise and the potential good that might have come from it. You don't have to read it though!


Soooooo, when Robo and I were staying at Rey Sol hostel in Lago Puelo - that's the Israeli hostel for all those of you who are not good at remembering things - we were happy to discover that they had a couple of guitars. For the first month or so of our travels, we only saw guitars from a distance. It was a little painful, to be honest. We would both look at them longingly when we saw someone carrying one and work out cunning plans to befriend their owners, but never executed them. Luckily, since then we've had a pretty good run with guitars. We had one for two weeks at La Bolsa, our hostel in Bariloche, and were sad to leave it. But two sleeps later and we were back in a hostel con guitarra.


Consequently I was having a little sing and a strum in the backyard one beautiful sunny afternoon, the night before we left Rey Sol and Lago Puelo. I was sitting a pretty long way from everyone, because it seems that whenever you play guitar in front of an Israeli lad they do their damndest to persuade you to sing a song for them. I am, as most of you know, horribly shy with regards to singing in front of others (obviously I'm not including my love of belting out classics by Steppenwolf and Def Leppard here. That's not really singing so much as "being awesome.")

But then Gila from the hostel snuck up to me, and she said, "Heyyyy, why don't you sing us a song at the asado tonight! There are going to be musicians, you should join them!"


And I said "Hahahahah oooohhh no I don't think that is going to happen." And I felt annoyed at myself but also pretty relieved that I wouldn't have to sing.


So that night we were having a grande olde time, eating meat (alternatively: not eating meat), playing frisbee under the stars, sitting around the bonfire and listening to Gila's husband and his friend play the blues. They were pretty good times! And then they finished up a song and Gila said "There is a girl here who sings beautiful! Perhaps she will play for us!"


And I thought, "ooh I wonder who it is" and then Gila came over and whispered to me "Do you have the courage?" and I thought "awwww crap" and then I went up and sung and played a song in front of 35 people!


It was so terrifying, I had the shakes for two hours afterwards. But it went really well I think! Everyone was really kind and a couple of the Argentinians yelled out "Uno mas!" Which means "one more." And later a few of people said pretty cool things, my new friend Coby gave me a really great compliment and also an Argentinian girl accosted me in the toilets and said that it sounded professional and that she would pay money to listen to me! And insisted on hugging and kissing me effusively (Argentinian styles! Nothing dodgy you guys).


I am just showing off now, but honestly after about ten years of being too shy to sing in public it was a really really good feeling to not embarrass myself horribly. (P.S. I forgot the words. But it was okay I think.) And it was so so much fun! My goodness it was a good time! Perhaps one day I will even do it again?!


EVIDENCE!!!



The next post on here will not be all about my social anxieties, I promise.

Love love love
Lion

Oh and p.s., the song I sung was called "Can't Let Go" by Lucinda Williams, you should download it because it is a really great song. Lucinda does it more justice than I did; also she remembers the words.

1 comment:

  1. yayayayayay!!! so good!

    also you were right about rushmore. it certainly was a fine time :)

    ReplyDelete