Tuesday, April 7, 2009

ella uso mi cabeza como un revolver

hey there, mysterious readers! I have lately been assured that some people are actually reading this, so I will endeavour to post occasionally. (lion keeps encouraging me, but I have difficulty believing that my words are not just disappearing into the electronic yonder, ever unread by the living.)

we are in Valparaiso today, on the ¨coast¨ of chile (we have not yet seen any coast, but I am assured there is one close by). we like it so far (it has some ´tude, as Lion puts it) although some travel-friends of ours (two english girls, Rosie and Anna) were apprarently mugged here two days ago so we are a little apprehensive and Taking Precautions. I´m sure we´ll be fine as long as we are careful, though. anyway if we do get mugged all they will get from us is cash now that we are Prepared, so it would suck but not be that big of a deal.

this internet cafe is playing Alanis Morisette, which is a GROAN moment but reminds me to mention the awesome music experiences we´ve had so far:
  1. Rick Astley. (a terrible 80s singer.) this man has followed us throughout South America. Dylan, a great character we met in Bariloche, said, ¨Rick Astley has followed me everywhere in South America¨ and since then we have realised he is right.
  2. La Noche. (literally, ¨The Night¨.) I think Lion has already mentioned them... a fantastically tacky Chileno band, the lead singer has these amazing ¨wet-look¨ long curly locks, dodgy teeth and a seductive smile.
  3. Pappo. An old Argentino singer, singing in Spanish, played over the PA at our hostel in Bariloche... Diego (one of the staff) discussed this band with us for a while after I ventured, in broken spanish, ¨Who is singing?¨ Lion was a big fan, and was ridiculed a little for this by her spanish teacher. ¨Oh, muy viejo!¨ (very old)
  4. The Reckoning. An Israeli band (but singing in English, not Hebrew) that we heard played at Rey Sol. The lead singer (a guy) sounds like Janis Joplin.
  5. Los Pericos. A band recommended to me by Pato, a Chileno boy we met in Santiago. they are a bit older, a bit like The Cure (but singing in spanish). they sing a song called, ¨Ella uso mi cabezo como un revolver¨ (she uses my head like a revolver) of which I am particularly fond.

anyway better go, we have Things To Do (in my case this will be lying in bed all afternoon, because I have been a bit sick the past day or so, nothing serious). did I mention that we are staying in a wicked hostel right now? we get a private room with a televison for about 11 australian dollars per night. we are pretty excited about watching television in bed to be honest. also the guy running the hostel not only speaks no english (this is great) but is very patient about speaking spanish with us (even better). our spanish has really taken a downward slide after coming into Chile because the accent is quite hard to understand. but we are trying, guys, really!

chau, mis amores!

2 comments:

  1. Bam! I read your blog!

    Do you mean that the real Rick Astley is following you around South America? If so, that's crazy! Rickrolling comes to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I have a message for Caro, which is that today I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "WOK AND BOWL", and, it even took it one step up from our pun - it was a fake ad for a Chinese restaurant/bowling alley!

    ReplyDelete