Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's like she's trying to talk to me, I just know it!

I have three days of work left (including today). I fly out to Tasmania in six days. I meet Lion in Sydney in thirteen days. We'll be in Buenos Aires in two weeks' time. You’d think I’d be excited, but to be honest my routine hasn’t changed and those numbers on their own are too surreal!

I have been working on my Spanish today:

  • ¿o estoy? – or am I? (emotions / location)
  • ¿o soy? – or am I? (identity)
  • ¿o es? – or is it?
  • ¿o estás? – or are you? (informal)
  • ¿o está? – or are you? (formal – because we’re so likely to say this in a formal setting)
  • ¿o están? – or are youse?
  • también lo es tu mamá - so's your mum (there's gotta be an easier way to say that)
  • ¡que usted! - that's you!

For example:

¡Oiga Lion, que usted! Es broma... ¿o estoy?
(Hey lion, that's you! Just kidding... or am I?)

This is gonna be great.

También (also), I LOVE the fact that Spanish has a word for “youse” that you can use without sounding like an Emu Bitter drinker. It makes so much sense! Why doesn’t English have a proper word for “youse”?

5 comments:

  1. well at least you'll be able to do the "or am i?" thing with spanish people.

    i thought "thou" was the english second person plural, but it turns out it's second person singular and also if you say it you will sound like someone who goes jousting

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesssss i was just thinking about the numbers today too. i'm pretty sure that i still don't actually believe i will make it there. it does not seem very real.

    i am SO HAPPY that you have found out how to say these things! seriously though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. image if you guys get there and it turns out that there is no such place as south america and that everything about it was made up, all footage of it was shot in soundstages etc.

    makes sense when you think about it, because why else would they only speak european languages? because they could not invent fake ones

    ReplyDelete
  4. MICHEL GONDRY WHERE ARE YOU
    ben has an idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, you is actually the second person plural pronoun in english, and it sort of took over thou.

    i recommend y'all as a colourful alternative to youse. also "you guys".

    ReplyDelete