Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Our Ladies of La Paz

Soooo we are still in Sucre. But not for long! Thank goodness. I was growing a little weary of it. Tonight we catch a bus to La Paz.

Still, we have had a pretty good time. The 25th of May went off pretty nicely. There were as many brass bands as you might have imagined. The afternoon was quiet though. We bought hats! When I was in Australia I lost both my cowboy hats. And I hate not having a cowboy hat. So I bought an amazing one off a woman sitting in the street with a rug full of silly hats. Ro bought one too, not a cowboy hat though. Gosssssssh I love hats. When I return to Australia I don't intend to be seen without one.

I didn't buy any fairy floss even though that was my big plan for the day. Disappointing. When it came down to it I just wasn't in the mood.

We had a wacky old night. First we went to Joy Ride, which is Sucre's official Gringo CafĂ©. There are quite a few competing for the honour but Joy Ride certainly deserves to own it despite their hopeful catchphrase ¨NO SOLO PARA GRINGOS¨. We danced to some sweet tunes for a while (actually they were awful tunes let's be honest) but then it shut at 2am! WHAT. Bolivia, you are letting down the nation of South America. We got laughed at for trying to go out at 3am in Argentina. Anyway, we didn't really know what to do after that but we befriended a gentleman originally from Kenya but now living in Bolivia, who lightheartedly insisted that he was a hustler and robbed banks for a living (actually he lived with his aunt and studied nursing), and he told us that there was a shisha bar that stayed open late.

Well, I don't smoke, and Ro doesn't smoke, but it was open so that was reason enough to go. It was almost deserted bar a group of some very giggly, sleepy looking folks who were almost horizontal in the corner. They kind of flapped their hands at us in an attempt to wave. Marijuana is as illegal here as it is in Perth, and the menu certainly didn't say anything about it, but regardless I suspect from their demeanour that they had been ingesting. We eschewed the opportunity to order a hookah of tobacco infused with vanilla or rose (actually rose sounds quite good now I think about it SHAME ABOUT THE TOBACCO) and instead nestled into the cushions for some deep and meaningful conversation. It was a pretty good time. Actually I almost fell asleep. It was quite late by then. But they didn't seem to mind.

That is pretty much all that we've done of interest lately. Today we went to the post office. It was a rush. I bought a shirt. We went to the laundry. We are feeling ready for La Paz.

Love love love
Lion

No comments:

Post a Comment