Wednesday, February 11, 2009

But my mum says I'm cool

Honestly I have no idea why people complain so much about jetlag and long flights. It is really very tolerable.

So I flew out of Perth at quarter to one on Tuesday morning, and by six that afternoon I was at our hostel in Buenos Aires. Six in the afternoon Buenos Aires time, that is. I slept like nobody's business on the flight from Sydney thanks to Mr. Phenergan. By the time we got to the hostel, though, I was still feeling pretty wacked out, but Ro's cunning plan was to stay up until 9ish so that we could get into a regular sleeping pattern. So we walked around the block until we found a pizza place and had a very convoluted conversation in which Ro tried to explain that we were after a pizza without meat. We wound up with a pretty tasty Margherita. Then I fell asleep on the bed with a Spanish music show blaring on the TV and Ro couldn't wake me up, even when she shook me and yelled at me. Then I woke up and fell asleep on the toilet briefly. Then I had a shower and passed out for the next twelve hours. In bed, not in the shower, although either would have been possible.

We spent all morning wandering about Buenos Aires and not really having any clue where we were going, thank God for grid streets. It's cool. European architecture and all that. Everything is pretty expensive and Havianas are sold EVERYWHERE. Turns out they're a ripoff everywhere. Went to a very schmick shopping centre that Mum would probably like. In fact it put our very own Morley Galleria to shame. We went to the cheapest cafe we could find, which wasn't that cheap, and I ordered un sandwich con quesa since it was the only obviously vegetarian thing on the menu, and un cafe con leche, my second coffee in five months. I had my first this morning. Neither was that good. Anyway it turns out that was actually a bit of a faux pas since cafe con leche is only meant to be drunk with breakfast. Boy, was my face red!

The hostel is full of gringos, mainly Aussies, which probably a good thing since mi espanol es patetica. I don't even know if that's correct. So far I have heard them playing MGMT, Lily Allen and Regina Spektor. Now they are playing 'Sweet Child of Mine'. Also whenever I sit down I can't seem to shake the feeling that the floor is moving so I suppose I don't have my air-legs yet.

Millions of people want to use the computer so I should probably go even though I have lots more to write.

Love love love
Lion

1 comment:

  1. Caro the Sparrow,
    Very glad you met up with Ro okay and that you're now wandering exotic streets full of pulsating tango dancers..as am I.

    Yep Mr Phenergan certainly does the trick but I forgot to mention the hangover effect...that plus Jet Lag..my goodness gracious me..! You would have been like a poor old crumpet that got incinerated when all you needed was a little toasting.

    Pissed myself when I read about you falling asleep on the toliet (toilet, even) and being unwakeable earlier, even with ro yelling at you...remember you come from a family that has produced the likes of Greg Dale; in his salad days able to sleep through a tent falling down on top of him.

    By the way, upon perusing the archived blogs I was shocked and angry to discover a list of things NOT to worry about which included (i)"almost certainly a backpack"...follwed by a *disclaimer* style comment... "hmmm"
    I have come to one of two (or maybe two of two) conclusions about this 1. Sceptical Ferret has no faith in reliability of older sis to come through with goods 2. You are a ferret-face.
    Also I might add to this that, given your ferretty/cynical approach to life you are undeserving of my much-loved BPack and would be more at home with a PVC Barbie suitcase.
    Suck.shit :)
    I now intend to retire for a night of deeply affronted, peevish sleep.

    Still on the hunt for jobs. Will become worthy contributor to society one of these days.
    Have fun fondest Pooky o' my heart.
    PS. Was the airport departure as gruelling as you thought? I know you are a softie so I was expecting lots of tears
    xxxxKate

    ReplyDelete